Men Health - Circumcision
"Everything You Need to Know About Circumcision"
Malaysia is a country located in Southeast Asia. The population of Malaysia is over 30 million, and the official religion is Islam. Circumcision is widely practiced in Malaysia, and it is estimated that over 90% of Muslim males are circumcised. There are many reasons why circumcision is practiced in Malaysia, but the most common reason is religious belief. Some people also believe that circumcision has health benefits, such as reducing the risk of UTI or penile cancer.
What is Laser Circumcision ?
Laser circumcision uses heat to coagulate while cutting the foreskin during circumcision. It is an effective treatment for foreskin issues like tight foreskin – phimosis, retracted foreskin-paraphimosis, balanitis, and can help prevent penile problems like sexually transmitted infections, urinary tract infections.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Laser Circumcision
Laser circumcision is less painful than traditional methods, and there is less bleeding and swelling. It also has a shorter recovery time, and there is less risk of infection. The cut of the foreskin using this method is also more accurate compared to other methods such as stapler which is done without direct visualization of the area being cut.
Here are some of the pros and cons of male circumcision.
Benefits of Laser Circumcision
- Permanent solution for all foreskin problems
- No pain during sexual intercourse
- Does not require any hospitalization
- Easily performed under local anesthesia
- More precise than stapler circumcision surgery
- High success rate
- No recurrence after laser procedure
- Return to normal lifestyle after the next day
- Clean scar which provides good aesthetics after the laser circumcision
- 30 minutes procedure
- No stitches removal needed
- Reduce risk of infections i.e. STDs
- Treat and prevent phimosis, paraphimosis, balanitis, balanophimitis
- Reduce risks of penile cancer
- Better maintenance of genital hygiene
- Reduce partner’s risk of cervical cancer and infections
- Doesn’t affect on the man’s fertility
- Quicker and painless recovery period (as compared to open circumcision surgery)
How or What to Prepare for Laser Circumcision ?
Inform your doctor about your complete medical history, medications that you are taking. Medications like blood thinners, should be stopped at least 5 days before surgery, your doctor will give you a proper instruction for preparation of surgery accordingly.
- Arrange someone to drive you home after procedure
- Avoid tobacco smoking and alcohol before surgery
- If your work involves manual labour, work leave for at least a week.
How is the Procedure of Circumcision be Done ?
One of the most cutting-edge methods of circumcision is laser surgery. The incision was made with a coagulation device , so there is minimal bleeding and the edges of the wound are clean. It is optimal for tissue conservation and entirely preserves the surrounding tissues as well.
The recovery time is significantly reduced and the procedure only lasts 30 to 40 minutes. Due to the minimal risk involved, laser circumcision is also favoured to other procedures.
Circumcision is often done in outpatient setting for older boys or adults, means you would go home on the same day.
The procedure takes about 30mins.
- Clinical Assessment and design
- Numbing of the penis
- Circumcision is done with laser.
- Wound close with fine absorbed suture (no stitches removal needed)
The Recovery from Circumcision
In comparison to traditional circumcision, recovery with laser circumcision is frequently quicker and has fewer adverse effects. After the procedure, there is very little pain or discomfort, which can be controlled with NSAID medicines. To avoid infections, the patients might also need to take antibiotics.
Most patients are able to resume their normal lives and work schedules in within one to three days, while some patients may experience penile swelling and discomfort for up to four days (6-7 days for people performing manual labour). Healing often takes 7 to 10 days.
When is Laser Circumcision Needed ?
Laser circumcision needed if:
- You are unhappy with the size, look or shape of the foreskin
- You can’t retract your foreskin
- You experience pain or discomfort while peeing
- You have difficulty cleaning the penis
- Your penis is producing a foul-smelling discharge
- Your penis is swollen
- You notice blood on the opening of the penis
The Risks of Circumcision
- Excessive pain over penis
- Stitches that won’t dissolve